Sunday, July 27, 2014

Keeping up with global affairs

The News.  It is something that I honestly have struggled keeping up with while in college.  As a student who values her sleep I will admit that I tend to sacrifice watching the morning updates for those extra thirty or so minutes of shut-eye, but still as a political science major all my professors require that I am staying up with the top news of the day.  So what are some of my favorite sources for easy, accessible, and most importantly reliable news?


This iPhone/iPad app is one of the best, and most used apps on my phone! I downloaded this app a while ago after seeing a recommendation from the College Prepster, but haven't started using it until this summer, and I have to say this app is fantastic!  It is a great way to organize your morning news, and flip through headlines quickly, which as a busy college student is a huge plus!  I love scanning this app every morning as I wait in line for Starbucks, or while ridding the metro!  It helps keep me informed, while letting me customize what news sources I read.  I.e. you can choose what to follow, whether it be BBC, Fox News, NY Times, ect.  They have fashion, home, lifestyle, and food related options too!  Best part the app is completely FREE! 


One of my sorority sisters turned me on to this!  The Skimm will email you a morning update of the top headlines in brief, and they will write it in a fresh, almost hilarious fashion.  If you haven't checked out the skimm before you should definately subscribe to their email news!  It's one of the easiest ways for me to check what's going on both domestically and internationally every weekday morning

3. Politico (Political Science Nerds especially!)

Politico I was turned on to during my summer in DC, because well it's what everyone on the Hill seems to be reading.  While it does tend towards Capitol Hill gossip column on occasions, it's writing is accurate, informative, and entertaining all at once.  I use their iPhone app so I can get notifications of any important news reports sent to my phone.  Though fair warning any time their is political chaos in DC be prepared to read about it for days! (After Eric Cantor lost his seat his name was all over their headlines for at least a week).  However this source is very academic and again credible, and while their writing is partisan, they usually have both sides of an issue equally represented.  

Other than those three I will occasionally skim through the BBC's headlines, or the daily email I receive from the Washington Post.  

Let me know what you think of these great news sources, or if you have any suggestions comment below! (I love learning about new ways to get news!) 

No comments:

Post a Comment