Monday, July 7, 2014

Summer in DC: Part 1

Hi y'all!  It's hard to believe that I have been in DC for over a month now!  Time has flown by so fast.  Working full time, studying, and trying to explore has given me so much to do this summer, I barely sleep at all (thank goodness for Starbucks, am I right?).   The best part about DC in the summer is that there are lots of activities to attend, museums to see, and food to eat.  I thought that since it has been a little over a month now I would share some of my favorite parts of my summer so far!

Photos in order from top left, clockwise -- Washington Monument, Lincoln Memorial, Vietnam Memorial, and World War 2 Memorial
Day one of my program we started with a tour of all the monuments and memorials (on memorial day fittingly enough!)  It was interesting to learn all about the history of the monuments and wars, and it helps make you appreciate so much what our troops are doing for us.  Some fun facts from my tours are, first, the Washington Monument is made up of marble and gravity! Yes you heard me right, there is no cement holding together the blocks that built it (which could end very badly in an earthquake!).  Second, the Vietnam memorial was designed by a Yale student, who submitted an assignment from an architecture class (her professor incidentally gave her a C on the assignment, and submitted a design himself, only to lose the contest). 


This photo I took after my first day of my internship on Capitol Hill!  I always love walking by the Capitol every morning and afternoon!  Fun Fact about the Capitol: There are tunnels that connect all buildings associated with congress (senate, house, and the Library of Congress), and there are special subways that will take members and their staff from the capitol to the different house and senate buildings.  In addition one could practically live in the Capitol, there are shops, a gym, multiple food courts, a doctor, dry cleaners, Bank, Dunkin' Donuts and Starbucks.  It's fun to grab your morning coffee and try and see if you can spot a representative!  



The Supreme Court of the United States (SCOTUS)!  Another building I pass everyday on my way to and from work.  I love this part of my morning because I always know when important SCOTUS rulings are about to come out without even reading the news, because I'll see all the cameras lined up everyday, and if it is a particularly controversial case (like Hobby Lobby) you will see protestors.  


A few weeks ago I went paddle boating on the tidal basin with some friends from my program.  It was a great day to get outside, get some sun, and great exercise!  


I doubt a true political junkie like myself could ever take a trip to DC without making a pitstop at the White House!  Unfortunately no POTUS sightings as of yet, though the summer is still young!


A photo of Robert E Lee's old house at Arlington Cemetery.  If you're in DC definitely make sure you stop by Arlington Cemetery.   I was unfortunately too slow at contacting my mother to look up where my great-great-great-grandfather was located, but it did spur my mother into researching our family history more.  Little did I know that I apparently come from an old military family from the south, and there is even a book published about my great-great-grandmother!  Arlington is a great part of America's wartime history.


One of the best parts about working on Capitol Hill as an intern: Free Lobbyist Events!  Aka free Ice Cream for me.  The perfect way to cool down on a hot summer afternoon in DC.  Also a great event for networking with other hill staff members.


One of the first museums I was lucky enough to visit in DC!  If you happen to go to DC I highly recommend looking at the Newseum!  They're exhibits are thought provoking and informative.  My personal favorite however was the First Puppies Exhibit (highlighting everyone's favorite presidential pooches).  


Finally the last is a photo I took while enjoying one of DC's most popular summer events, Jazz in the Sculpture Garden.  It's a great place to go for some music, drinks, and spending time with good friends.  There are so many great social events offered in DC during the summer that it is hard not to take advantage of all the city has to offer!  If you are ever in DC during the summer this event was a great way to relax after a long week.  It's every friday starting around 5pm, in the Sculpture Gardens (my group took the red line to the China Town/Gallery Pl. Metro stop).    

That's a wrap up of my DC summer highlights from the first half of my trip here.  I'll post part two once my summer is finished!   

No comments:

Post a Comment